POSITION TITLE: Production Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Production Manager
STATUS: Full Time-30 hours/week, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: M-F 9:00am-3 :00pm (Flexible)
Compensation: $15-$17.50/hour + health and dental benefits
Travel: Minimal local travel
Anticipated Start Date: August 10, 2015
San Diego Junior Theatre provides engaging, innovative, high-quality theatre education and productions for children of all cultural heritages, ages, abilities and levels of interest.
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Production Manager, the Production Assistant is a key member of the Production staff of San Diego Junior Theatre. The position is responsible for ensuring the following:
Key Duties and Responsibilities*
- Constructs sets, installs lights and assists with all other areas of technical and artistic execution within the production function
- Assists with rehearsal and performance including:
- Oversee cast and crew student experience
- Coordinate and oversee parent volunteers during strike
- Train and supervise crew
- Monitor stage manager and student behavior
- Assists with maintaining the shop and the prop room
*The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive practical technical theatre knowledge
- Technical theatre experience in multiple and varied types of shows
- Professional theatre training and/or degree in Theatre Arts, Musical Theatre or similar degree
- Carpentry, painting and electrical skills
- Ability to take direction
- Creative problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience and desire to work with children
Required: Comprehensive practical technical theatre knowledge; technical theatre experience in multiple and varied types of shows; professional theatre training and/or degree; carpentry, painting and electrical skills; creative problem solving skills; initiative; good communication skills.
Desired: Stage management experience; scenic artistry; technical theatre management experience; experience with children’s theatre.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Conditions are typical of a working theatre and may include working with potentially hazardous equipment and substances. Work may include ladder climbing, catwalk, standing, stooping, crawling in tight spaces, scaffolding, bending and twisting. Noise level can be loud on occasion. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to work under pressure, within tight deadlines with minimal supervision. Applicants must have visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act in an emergency situation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information: This position requires a criminal background check prior to hire.
Contact: Please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com . The cover letter should include: why you are interested in SDJT and why you believe you would be an outstanding candidate for this position.
San Diego Junior Theatre provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.